Friday, July 2, 2010

Do I Really Need to Spay or Neuter My Dog or Cat?

I get this question so often that it saddens me. Many people wonder if it's "better" for a dog to have a litter or so of puppies. Or they have such a cute dog that they want to breed her just once. Or they wait too long to get their pup spayed or neutered and an accidental litter happens! Spaying and neutering your dog is 100% the right thing to do! Yes, spay or neuter your puppy!

Fixing your dog early is better for their health, makes training easier, and allows them to socialize in dog parks without problems.

The number of homeless dogs is astronomical. The ASPCA states that it is impossible to determine exactly how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States, but the estimate for cats alone ranges up to 70 million. Do your part to help control this problem by having your dog (and cat!) spayed or neutered. I had no problem with getting my female dog spayed. However, some people project their own issues onto their dogs, and feel they would not want to be spayed or neutered themselves. O.k. this I have to say is ridiculous and really kind of hilarious. It's a really easy, simple surgery. Ask your vet.

Having puppies is a lot of work. If you don't believe me, go read a book on how to breed your dog: it isn't pretty. I also suggest going to your local shelter to see some of the thousands of homeless dogs and cats waiting to be killed, due to humans' lack of responsibility. The figures are staggering. Approximately 6-8 million animals enter shelters across the nation each year, and 3-4 million of these are destroyed.

These numbers are driven by puppy mills and backyard breeding, but are mainly driven by owner irresponsibility and a lack of education. If you're still not convinced about neutering, ask your vet about the many health risks, such as testicular cancers and a host of behavioral issues, including potential dog aggression, which can develop in unneutered dogs.

Many people have also asked me if spaying or neutering will make their dog fat and lazy or change his/her personality. I would like you to look at my lean, 110 pound German Shepherd Dog (who was neutered at the age of six months) in the eye and tell him that he is fat or lazy. The only things that will make your dog fat are overfeeding and lack of exercise.

I urge you to please take responsibility and get your dog fixed. Do research and educate yourself! Leave breeding to professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment