Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Benefits of Natural Pet Food

Most people know that something labeled "organic" at the grocery store is apt to be far healthier than a comparable product that doesn't bear that distinction. When given the choice, many of us spend the extra dollar or two on the healthy option, especially when we consider that our kids will be consuming the item. But what about our pets? Don't our beloved dogs and cats deserve the same attention to health and quality? They certainly do, which is why natural pet food is becoming increasingly popular.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how my dog could ever choke down the generic chow I used to buy. I couldn't even stand the way it smelled, and can't imagine actually having to eat the stuff. In fact, I had to go through a whole rigmarole about taking a deep breath and holding it in until I filled my dog's bowl. Then I wouldn't allow myself to breathe again until I ran about five feet away from the feeding area and could get fresh air again. Ridiculous, I know, but most commercial dog kibble smells terrible! That was one of the biggest differences I noticed between natural pet food and the other stuff. The smell was a whole lot more appetizing!

There are other benefits to natural pet food, such as health and nutrition. One reason generic chow smells so bad is that it's usually made from castoff ingredients that are deemed unfit for humans. These include waste products from slaughterhouses (such as the hooves, intestines, and udders of animals) and similar by-products. Then there are all the chemical additives and preservatives to consider. Are you comfortable feeding your beloved four-legged companion these things? This kind of feed hardly sounds like something that would extend the life of your cat or dog. I wasn't happy with the information I found, so I made the switch to natural pet food.

Besides the health benefits, which include reduced skin problems, lower incidences of digestive disorders, and higher energy levels, natural pet food can also help extend the life of your precious pooch. It stands to reason if dogs (or cats) have fewer physical ailments and are healthier overall, they will probably live longer. After all, the same thing holds true for people, right? If you maintain a high-quality, all-natural diet you'll certainly be better off than if you indulged in overly processed junk filled with sodium and trans fats. Our pets can't read labels, so it's up to us to make the right choices for them.

I admit that I used to buy the cheapest bag of kibble I could find. Back then I thought all brands were created equal and that it didn't much matter what I fed my dog. But now that I know better, I'm going to stick to natural pet food. The benefits are clearly worth the extra few bucks per bag, so start changing your pet's feeding regimen today.

No comments:

Post a Comment