Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Guilty As Charged

Ok Ok... I admit it! After years of using words like; 'DISGUSTING!' 'UNHYGENIC!' and 'WRONG' to describe pet owners who allow their pets to sleep in their bed, I plead guilty to the same offense. The thing is, my pre-pet owner perception that these adorable little creatures (or big in others cases) should under no circumstance be allowed to even sleep in ones room never lone their bed, has change a tad. In fact, it goes something like this.

I have a queen size bed to myself (well not really so it seems) in which I occupy about 20 percent of the right side. To my left, tucked deep into the warmth of my bed cover and spooned to my left side like she is about to fall of the bed (when in actual fact she has 80 percent of it), is my gorgeous niece Bella. Bella is a 4 year old Maltese/Shitzu. I'm not done yet, as lying sprawled out on my chest with his arms clinging around my neck like he is holding on for dear life is my cuddly 9 month nephew rag doll cat.

The thing is, I know that in allowing this, I'm allowing my furry family members to carry all sorts of dirt and germs into my bed, not to mention acquiring a lifelong problem of pets with hierarchy misconceptions. Despite this knowledge, each night, after telling myself 'this is the last night they can sleep in my bed' they both seem to weasel their way in. How though, after years of permitting this behavior do you find reprieve? Perhaps it too late for me to ever get my bed back, but for other pet-loving suckers out there..... we should remember that our pets, (although to many they are our children) are PETS, and less human than we tend to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment